The St Vincent de Paul Society is proud to stand in respectful solidarity with Australia’s peak Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations in their historic proclamation of the Redfern Statement .
The 9 June 2016 statement by National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders is asking the Federal Government to completely overhaul Indigenous strategy, engagement and funding.
It is backed by key bodies responsible for services covering health, education, disabilities, justice and legal services, child protection, domestic violence and human rights.
In summary, the Statement is calling on the Federal Government to:
- Restore $534 million cut from the Indigenous Affairs Portfolio by the 2014 Budget.
- Commit to better and ongoing engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples through their representative national peaks.
- Re-commit to Closing the Gap by setting targets to reduce rates of family violence, incarceration and out-of-home care. Access to disability support services is also recommended.
- Commit to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders to establish a Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs in the future.
- Commit to addressing the unfinished business of reconciliation.