The Society's first ‘special work'
In October 1855, the first special work of the St Vincent de Paul Society in Australia was commenced with the laying of the foundation stone for the St Vincent de Paul Orphanage located in Emerald Hill (later South Melbourne).
On his arrival in 1850, Fr Gerald Ward witnessed the dire circumstances of children being deserted by parents and carers and experiencing homelessness as a result of Victoria's gold rush. His concern and dedication led him to swiftly establish the St Vincent de Paul orphanage. Its foundation stone was laid in 1855, and the first children were accepted in 1857. In 1861, the Society transitioned management of the orphanage to the Sisters of Mercy.

