Assistance is still available for people affected by bushfires, please contact Vinnies on 13 18 12 for assistance.
To support those affected by the Black Summer Bushfires, the Australian Government provided $2.6 million for distribution by the St Vincent de Paul Society of Canberra/Goulburn. After assisting 2,100 families and individuals this money has now been expended. The Society thanks the Australian Government for its assistance and, through them, our thanks also goes to the people of Australia for their support of fellow citizens.
The Society still has funds available from money raised by the Vinnies Bushfire Appeal. Anyone affected by the Black Summer Bushfires who is still in need of assistance can complete the attached form and submit it to us. This money comes from the generous donations made by thousands of people who wished to support others in need.
If you have been affected by the fires and suffered property loss or damage or require other support, click here to apply for assistance. For information on assistance from the federal government, click here.
Vinnies members are present in communities big and small throughout Australia, and always ready to support locals in times of hardship.
We are currently offering emergency assistance for people affected by the bushfires. We are able to offer immediate support including:
- Food and grocery vouchers
- Clothing, blankets and other essentials
- Financial assistance to pay bills
- Emotional support
- Referrals to an extensive network of other providers to cover crisis accommodation
Please note due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, Vinnies volunteers are no longer conducting direct face-to-face visits and interviews. Volunteers can discuss your needs over the phone and advise how assistance can be provided to you during the pandemic. To stay up-to-date with our Vinnies is dealing with COVID-19, click here.
Other organisations and resources:
Please see these handouts for information on how the government and other organisations that may be able to assist:
- Australian Government Services in Response to the Bushfires Part A: Support for Residents
- Australian Government Services in Response to the Bushfires Part B: Support for Small Business
- Australian Government Services in Response to the Bushfires Part C: Support for Indigenous Residents
- Flyer from the Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre
- Information from the NSW Government