We recommend that:
- all people seeking asylum in Australia be issued with bridging visas with the right to work, the right to study, and access to income support and Medicare;
- SRSS payments be paid on the basis of need to all those awaiting assessments or review of their claims for protection, including claims before the Courts;
- the eligibility criteria for SRSS payments be clearly set out in a public document that is published on the Department of Human Services website;
- the practice of denying SRSS payments to persons because they are studying or otherwise deemed eligible to work be discontinued. The criteria for the denial of the payment should be if the person is working and their income reaches a level which would exclude them if they were receiving Newstart Allowance; and,
- SRSS payments be increased to the level of the Newstart Allowance.