Vinnies says the reasons to donate are all around us
Thursday 1 May 2014
St Vincent de Paul Society Queensland launched the annual Winter Appeal today calling on the wider community to help those doing it tough.
State President John Forrest said that the three month appeal aimed to raise at least $750,000 to help those who struggle every day.
“More than 280,000 people seek assistance from Vinnies each year and we are asking the community to dig deep as the weather turns chilly,” he said.
“Financial donations help us make sure they get what they need, which can be food, clothing, temporary accommodation or assistance paying bills during these colder months.
“The money you give can give a child the tools to get an education, petrol for the breadwinner to get to work, scripts for pensioners and food when the cupboard runs bare.
“Vinnies works to provide those in need with long term solutions through education, support and a hand up, not just a hand out.”
Mr Forrest said this year the appeal highlights that each of us have the power to make a real difference to those less fortunate in our own community.
“We all see the statistics and the plight of our struggling neighbours, friends or someone in our wider community: The reasons to donate are all around us,” he said.
Donate to the Vinnies Winter Appeal at www.vinnies.org.au or call 13 18 12.
Your generous donation can change a life:
- $50 can contribute towards essential medication for a pensioner.
- $100 could assist a woman and child escaping domestic violence with somewhere safe to sleep
- $200 may contribute to buying basic necessities for a mum supporting a family under stress.
- $500 can help towards vital mechanical repairs for a struggling family’s car
- $1,000 may assist a family from being evicted from their home.
Media contact: Renee Mansfield 0428 759 814