The Drought is Taking Its Toll
Vinnies is supporting our farmers and farming communities who are experiencing the full force of the current drought.
Vinnies is supporting communities directly via funds raised by our generous donors and is also one of three charities delivering the Federal Government’s Drought Community Support Initiative (DCSI) to communities in NSW, ACT, Queensland and South Australia.
If you are eligible for the DCSI funding you may be entitled to up to $2,000 in cash and $1,000 in vouchers.
Assistance differs from state to state. Depending on where you live, Vinnies can also help directly via its own drought relief programs. Here are some of the ways Vinnies could assist you:
- Help to pay bills
- Food vouchers and hampers
- No Interest Loans for a variety of household items
- Community engagement events such as BBQs and fun stalls and classes
- Referrals to partner organisations supplying food and water for livestock
- Counselling and outreach
- Referrals to an extensive network of other providers to cover all areas of need.
If you would like to find out more information on the DCSI or Vinnies direct drought relief programs, please call 13 18 12.
- Download the Drought Relief Application Form here (South Australia only, all other states please seek assistance via 13 18 12).
- Please visit this page for available Drought Assistance information for ACT and to fill in the online application form.
Ben is a young farmer who recently suffered a health problem that led to Vinnies stepping in to help support him and his family.
“My wife and I have been coping with drought conditions since 2011. We’re not ones to ask for help but it’s gotten to a point where we decided we needed to accept some assistance from Vinnies.”
Since 2011 Ben has had to sell off all his cattle and change to farming sheep and goats as a means to better survive the drought conditions.
After rupturing one of his eyes, Ben has been unable to complete all the farm work he was previously responsible for, with his wife needing to step in to get it done. This has created further financial and emotional stress.
“Vinnies kindly offered to pay for my medical bills as this was an added expense we simply couldn’t afford on top of running the farm and providing for our two children.”
Ben is just one of hundreds of farmers that Vinnies has been able to offer drought assistance to.