Our presence embedded in communities across the fire-devastated areas meant that Vinnies was often the first to render assistance immediately after the destruction.
Many of our volunteer members live and work in the affected communities. They were on the ground to support their neighbours and start providing a hand up to those in need. The generous donations of Vinnies supporters enabled them to play that vital role.
Thanks to the incredible public fundraising effort, our volunteers were able to deliver assistance including:
- Cash payments of up to $3,000 to supplement the Commonwealth’s Emergency Relief Fund payments of $1,000
- Delivering food, clothing, essential items, grocery vouchers
- Paying for emergency hotel accommodation for people who lost everything
- Paying bills to help households recover
- Referring people onto other organisations providing crisis accommodation and specialised services
- Giving emotional support and practical assistance in the wake of the fires.
So far, Vinnies has disbursed more than $13.5 million in Vinnies Bushfire Appeal funds, supporting more than 4,300 households across Queensland, NSW, the ACT, Victoria and South Australia.
In the particularly hard-hit South Coast region of NSW, approximately $6.6 million has been distributed to date.
In partnership with the Australian Government, we also helped to distribute $1,000 Emergency Relief Fund grants in Queensland, NSW, the ACT and South Australia, ensuring these funds could reach those who needed them most. So far, we have distributed around 4,500 of these government grants (in addition to the Vinnies Bushfire Appeal funds).