Fitzroy Soup Van
The Vinnies Fitzroy Soup Van Operation commenced in 1975, instigated by a small number of people who wanted to provide soup, sandwiches and friendship to the homeless in the city. With considerable assistance from St Vincent de Paul Society and the Catholic parish network the small group of volunteers acquired a van and permission to operate out of Ozanam House. Since then, the Fitzroy Soup Van Operation has grown into a trusted and reliable service for a daily meal and friendship for those experiencing homelessness and disadvantage across the inner city.
2015 marked 40 years of service for our Fitzroy Soup Van Operation, and as part of this momentous occasion the Society is celebrating this service to the community by acknowledging the volunteers that have supported this program throughout this period.
Our volunteers have played a vital role across the 40+ years of service and we would like to thank those people for their contributions along the journey. In addition to providing a meal and warm cup of soup, our dedicated volunteers bring hope and comfort to those sleeping rough each night.
Who benefits from the Fitzroy Soup Van?
Last year we provided more than 146,000 meals to people living rough throughout the Melbourne CBD, Fitzroy, East Melbourne and South Melbourne. There are over 504 volunteers on the Fitzroy Soup Van Operation that deliver the service to over 400 people every night of the year.
When does the Soup Van work?
You’ll find us out every night of the week.
The Fitzroy Soup Van stops are as follows with arrival times between:
- 7:00-7:30pm - Corner Boundary & McCauley Roads, North Melbourne
- 7:45-8:00pm - All Saints Church, 174 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, near corner of Brunswick & King William Streets
- 8:15-8:45pm - Federation Square, Russell Street, Melbourne CBD
- 9:00-9:45pm - Launch Housing Southbank (formerly Hanover House), Haig Street, Southbank
- 9:30-10:00pm - Queen Victoria Market (Peel Street) car park – between Victoria & Franklin Streets
* Times are approximate
How can I help?
The Soup Vans Program continues to partner with like-minded organisations to provide access to medical and dental care, homeless services, local government and those committed to improving the circumstances of people experiencing disadvantage, isolation and marginalisation.
The Fitzroy Soup Van Operation relies on the generosity of donors, both financial and those that can provide in-kind support. If you would like to support in some way, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering on the Soup Vans
There are a number of opportunities for people to get involved.
- Community work at our kitchens, such as food preparation
- Delivering the service on our nightly Soup Van run
- Administration and record-keeping
- Delivery and collection of donations for our service
- Vehicle maintenance, ensuring our vans are clean and maintained regularly
- Leadership roles within our night teams
How can I find out more?