What is the service?
Free assistance is provided to asylum seekers and refugees on Temporary Protection Visas (TPV) and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas (SHEV). This service is provided by one paid Coordinator and approximately forty volunteers who are passionate about refugee and asylum seekers’ human rights.
Specific services include:
- Material assistance (food, clothing, and payment of essential service bills)
- Accommodation costs for approximately 40 asylum seekers
- Housing and immigration information
- Support for asylum seekers released from detention
- Advocacy, financial counselling and referrals to other support agencies
- English language classes
- Vocational education funding
- Pop-up health clinics
Funding is almost entirely from community and business donations, together with some ‘emergency relief’ funding from the Federal Government.
Where is the Service located?
The service is located at the Vinnies House of Welcome, 43 LeHunte Street Kilburn SA
This office is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am-2pm. Walk-ins welcome.
Can I volunteer for this Service?
Volunteers are most welcome. You only need a few hours each month to assist people in need. You will receive an induction, be guided through our processes and be covered by our insurance. To express interest in volunteering, please email your resume and an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I find out more about the Service?
Telephone: (08) 8340 3053
Fax: (08) 8340 3814