Ozanam Learning Centre weekly program of activities
Please find attached the Ozanam Learning Centre’s programmes for the weeks: 18 to 22 February 2019.
If you are or are working with someone who is vision impaired or blind and require a text to speech friendly version of this information, please call us on 02-9358 8170 and we will send you one via email.
What's new …
Haircuts for Men with Peter, Monday, 18 February, 9am-12pm
Drop in – no appointments.
Fitness Program at Juanita Nielsen Centre, Woolloomooloo, with Chica on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting Tuesday 19 February, 10-11am and Thursday 21 February, 9-11am for 10 weeks
New OLC Fitness Program with Chica starting Tuesday 19 February, 10am-11am and Thursday 21 February, 9am-11am for 10 weeks (20 sessions) at the Juanita Nielsen Centre, Woolloomooloo. Open to both men and women. Must register and leave from the OLC. For expressions of interest and registrations please speak with Chica or telephone 02-9358 8170/88171. Flyer attached.
LAC (Local Area Coordinators) of NDIS Fortnightly Outreach Information Desk on Tuesday 19 February, 10am-12pm
LAC (NDIS) will be in the foyer area of the OLC with a fortnightly Outreach Information Desk on Tuesday 19 February, 10am-12pm. Just drop by and chat with Holly who will be there to meet people and share information and answer your questions and provide assistance.
Max Employment (Max Solutions) Monthly Information Session, Tuesday 19 February at 11am
If you’re looking for support with getting a job, drop in and talk with Tony from Max Employment who is at the OLC on Tuesday 19 February at 11am to help with questions, referrals to health professionals, psychologist, and social workers and help with securing and keeping a job. Flyer attached.
Dog Walking at Ingleside with Graham on Tuesday 19 February, 11am-4pm.
Join Graham for walking the rescue dogs at Ingleside. Leaving the OLC at 11am. Lunch provided. Spaces are limited so be sure to book a space by speaking with OLC reception or telephoning 02-9358 8170/171.
Ability Links Fortnightly Outreach Information Desk on Wednesday 20 February, 9.30am-11am
Ability Links will be in the foyer area of the OLC from 9:30am-11am on Wednesday 20 February. Just drop by and chat with Erin and Andrew who are there to meet people and share information about Ability Links.
Drum Circle with Alex returns on Thursday 21 February to 11 April, 11am-12pm
Join our Drum Circle with Alex for health and wellbeing which is starting up again on Thursdays from 11am-12pm (21 February to 11 April). Just drop in. Equipment provided. All welcome. Flyer attached with details.
Mondays - Life Admin and Organisation Space with Catherine and Laura, 10am-11:30am
A new service where Catherine and Laura will be offering support with Life Administration, assistance with engaging with technology (phones/computers) and potential information/referrals to various services within Vinnies. Appointments are available from 10 – 11.30am for half hour sessions.
Tai Chi with Simon has returned and is on Mondays, 2pm-3pm, 4 February to 15 April
Join Simon every Monday afternoon at the OLC from 4 February to 15 April (no class 25 March) for a 10-week session of Tai-Chi. Tai-Chi / Qigong is an ancient Chinese tradition that is practised today as a graceful form of exercise. It involves a series of movements performed in a slow, focused manner accompanied by gentle breathing. Tai-Chi / Qigong is known to calm the mind, reduce stress and anxiety, increase strength and mobility and create a positive state of wellbeing. Simon Blow is a master teacher who has taught locally in Sydney and internationally for over 25 years. Flyer attached.
Women’s Wardrobe (formerly Cat’s Closet) with Laura is now on Thursday mornings, 10.30am-11.30am By Appointment
The Women’s Wardrobe provides everyday practical clothing to people who are experiencing financial hardship. By referral and appointment only. Please refer to attached flyer for information and criteria.
- Job Support with David - Mondays, 10am – 12pm
- Computer Support with Andrew, Margaret, Mark & Peter - Monday 1pm – 3pm, Tuesday 10am – 12.30pm & Wednesday 10am – 12.30pm & Thursday 1pm – 3pm
- Computer Support and Google Docs in One Session (the easy alternative to Word) with Brian - on Fridays, 1pm-3pm
- Literacy with David & Christine –Wednesdays 9am - 12pm & 2:15 - 3:15pm
- Paint-A-Plate with Eva - Mondays 9.30am - 12.30pm / 1pm - 3pm
- Pottery with Luke – Tuesdays 10am – 3pm
- Drawing Studio with Gabrielle – Thursdays, 9:30am-12:30pm, from Thursday 31 January to Thursday 21 March
- Art Room Access with Luke – Wednesdays 10am-3pm & Thursdays, 1-3pm
- Women’s Social Lunch with Trish - Thursdays, 12.30pm – 1.30pm
- Restorative Yoga with Lesley-Ann - Tuesdays, 2pm – 3pm
- Tai Chi with Simon – Mondays, 2pm-3pm - from 4 February to 15 April
- SMART Recovery with Suzanne – Thursdays, 9.30am-11am
- Tuesdays Time To … Coffee, Chill & Chat with Joy, Syd & Peter, every Tuesday from 10am-12pm (Flyer attached)
- Cooking with Belinda & Laura – Fridays, 10am-12pm – everything supplied – eat what you cook
- Urban Gardening with Laura in the Community Garden, Wednesday mornings, 10am – 11am, from 9 January. Meet at the OLC at 10am. Participants must wear enclosed shoes.
- Monthly Pool Competition with Collin – First Friday of the month, 11am – 12:30pm
- Monthly Table Tennis Competition with Collin – Last Friday of the month, 1:30pm - 3:30pm
- Gym with Collin, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-4pm
- Rehab Gym with Collin, Tue-Fri, 8.30am-10pm
- Walking in the Domain with Collin – Fridays, 9:30am - 11am
- Gambling Counselling with William – Wednesdays, 12:45pm - 1:45pm – appointments needed
- Counselling with Suzanne (Monday to Thursday) - appointments needed
- Financial Counselling with Lin – On hold until mid-March
Coming up …
Outings in February
Monday 25 February – Women’s Outing to Women’s Pool in Coogee, 1pm-3.30pm – With Laura/Catherine
Tuesday 26 February – Pizza in the Park (at Prince Alfred Park), 10.30am-4pm. Lunch provided – With Graham and Chica
TAFE NSW Introduction to Horticulture, Semester 1 – enrolment on Tuesday 26 February, 9.30am-12.30pm
Join us for our first TAFE introduction to Horticulture Course at the Ozanam Learning Centre. TAFE NSW Horticulture courses open doors and offer you a wide range of rural and urban opportunities and this Career Pathways course can start you on the journey to a position in gardening, horticulture or further study in the area. If you like getting hands-on, have a green thumb and a love for all things natural, join us for this practical course.
Semester 1 begins with enrolment on the 26 February at the OLC, 9.30am-12.30pm and runs until the 9 April every Tuesday with Semester 2 following shortly after. Participants require a USI and need to fill out a registration form available at the OLC prior to the enrolment date. Please contact Laura on 9358 8156 or email@example.com to enquire about registration or for more information. Please see attached flyer.
Resume & Interview Workshop with Moir Group on Tuesday 26 February at 11am
This workshop provides a free consultation from a corporate recruitment agency who offer information and advice on resume writing, cover letters, interviews, industry tips etc. For expressions of interest please call 02-9358 8170. Flyer attached.
For the Diary …
Job Readiness Workshop with Shyama from Metro Assist on Thursday, 14 March at 11am
A preparation workshop about entering the workforce. This is a safe space to have all your questions answered. This program offers information on presentation, employer expectations, understanding workplace culture etc. For expressions of interest please call 02-9358 8170 to register your interest.
White Card Training Day on Friday 15 March, all day from 8:30am-3:30pm
The OLC is running its next White Card Training Day on Friday 15 March from 8.30am-3.30pm. Please see attached flyer with all details of how to enrol. Please note that participants need to be here at 8.30am for a 9am start. For any further information please call 9358 8171/9358 8170.