Ozanam Learning Centre weekly program of activities
Please find attached the Ozanam Learning Centre programme for the week 19 - 23 August.
TAFE Intro to Horticulture Information Day on Tuesday 13 August at 9.30am-12.30pm
Do you wish to prepare yourself for a potential career in Horticulture or further study in the area. The course will run on the MTH rooftop and will run for 15 weeks with a 2 week break from Tuesay 13 August. It is a good place to start for people who are interested in gardening or vegetable growing and want to expand their knowledge or experience. It is also a great pre-cursor to entry level employment and/or further tertiary education.Anyone wanting to partake in this TAFE course starting on 13 August is required to attend this Information/Enrolment Day.
If you are or are working with someone who is vision impaired or blind and require a text to speech-friendly version of this information, please call us on 02-9358 8170 and we will send you one via email.
What’s new …
Haircuts for Men on Monday 19 August, 9am - 12pm
Drop in, no appointments. First-come, first-served. Peter our hairdresser will be at the OLC for his monthly visit on Monday 19 August.
Anxiety Support Group on Tuesday 20 August, 10am-12pm (see attached flyer)
Problems with anxiety? Come and join our support group at the OLC on the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month, Everyone is welcome. The groups share personal experiences & information in a safe, friendly & supportive environment. Participants learn from each other, experience relief, have fun & become inspired by each other's journeys.
LAC/NDIS Fortnightly Outreach Information Desk on Tuesday 20 August, 10am-12pm (Flyer attached)
LAC (NDIS) will be in the foyer area of the OLC with the fortnightly Outreach Information Desk on Tuesday 20 August, 10am-12pm. Just drop by and chat with Harry who will be there to meet people and share information and answer your questions and provide assistance.
Tai Chi on Mondays from 5 August to 30 September (no class 9 & 16 Sept), 2pm-3pm
Class consists of Meditation, relaxation, physical movement, mind-body integration & breathing exercises. It involves a series of movements in a slow, focused manner accompanied by gentle breathing. It is known to calm the mind, reduce stress & anxiety, increase strength & mobility and create a positive state of wellbeing.
Outing – Clifton Gardens, Tuesday 20 August, 11am-4pm. (Lunch provided)
Leaving OLC at 11am, returning to OLC for 4pm. To register speak with OLC reception or call 93588170
Monthly Indoor Basketball on Wednesday 21 August, 2pm-3pm
All welcome to join in this monthly outing to Cook & Phillip Park Indoor Courts for a game of Indoor Basketball with Chica. Leaving OLC at 2pm.
SMART Recovery on Thursdays - new start time of 10am - 11.30am
New Mindful Making (Art Therapy) starts Thursday 22 August, 10am-12pm for 4 Thursdays in the OLC Artroom
Enjoy making crafts in a calm environment? Why not join the Mindful Making Workshops with Fiona in the OLC Artroom learning how to cultivate mindfulness through creative flow. Just drop in - no need to register. Runs for 4 Thursdays.
Ceramics (Throwing) starts on Thursday 22 August, 1pm - 3pm, every Thursday afternoon
Using the pottery wheel to create objects. All welcome. Just drop in.
Drum Circle on Thursdays from 1st August for 8 weeks, 11am -12pm
Join our Drum Circle with Alex for Health and wellbeing. Everyone is welcome. All equipment is provided.
Sydney Street Choir every Thursday in August, 12pm - 2pm
Sydney Street Choir is a singing community formed to support those who have experienced social disadvantaged or homelessness. The Choir’s performances are inspirational and uplifting as they share their stories of triumph over adversity through joining the program with a range of audiences. The Choir was created by Jonathon Welch (Choir of Hard Knocks) in 2001 and it is the longest running choir programme of its type in Australia. The aim of the choir is ‘to connect with, inspire and empower those who are living or working in homeless or disadvantaged communities through creating music, performance and passionate expression that truly opens people’s hearts”.
• Job Support with David - Mondays, 10am – 12pm
• Computer Support with Margaret on Tuesday 13 August 1pm – 3pm, Mark on Wednesdays 10am – 12.30pm & Peter on Thursdays 1pm – 3pm
• Computer Support and Google Docs in One Session (the easy alternative to Word) with Brian - on Fridays, 1pm-3pm.
• Literacy with David –Wednesdays 9am - 12pm & Christine Wednesday 2:15 - 3:15pm
• TAFE Music Production Tuesdays 30 July to 24 September (9 weeks) from 9.30am-12.30pm
• ON BREAK - Milk Crate Theatre– returns 3 September on Tuesdays, 1:30-3:30pm
• ON BREAK - Paint-A-Plate with Eva - Mondays 9.30am - 12.30pm
• Painting Foundations with Gabrielle – Tuesdays, 9.30am-12:30pm/1-3.30pm
• Drawing Studio with Gabrielle – Wednesdays, 9:30am-12:30pm/1-3.30pm
• Morning Tea on Fridays at 9.30am in the OLC Recreation Area
• Women’s Social Lunch with Trish - Thursdays, 12.30pm – 1.30pm
• Women’s Wardrobe with Belinda & Sonia- Thursdays, 10.30 – 11.30am – By Appointment
• Restorative Yoga with Lesley-Ann - Tuesdays, 2pm – 3pm
• Tai Chi with Simon –Mondays, 2pm-3pm. Next series runs from 5 August to 30 September (no class 9 & 16 September)
• SMART Recovery with Suzanne – Thursdays, 10am - 11.30am.
• Time To … Café Chat Series with Joy, Syd & Peter - Tuesdays, 10:30am-12:30pm
• Life Admin and Organisation Space with Laura – Mondays, 10am-12pm – By appointment
• Living Skills - Cooking with Laura – Fridays, 10am-12.30pm – everything supplied – eat what you cook (On Break 2 August)
• ON HOLD - Living Skills – Baking with Miriam & Javier – Fridays, 1pm-3pm–everything supplied
• Living Skills - Urban Gardening with Laura in the Community Garden, Thursday mornings, 10am-12pm. Meet at the OLC at 10am. Participants must wear closed shoes.
• Monthly Pool Table Competition with Collin – First Friday of the month, 11am – 12:30pm
• Monthly Table Tennis Competition with Collin – Last Friday of the month, 1:30pm - 3:30pm (Next one 30 August)
• Monthly Indoor Cricket with Collin – First Wednesday of the month, 9am-11am
• Monthly Indoor Basketball with Collin – Third Wednesday of the month, 2-3pm (Next one 21 August)
• Gym with Collin, Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm
• Rehab Gym with Collin, Tue-Fri, 8.30am-10am
• Gambling Counselling with William – Wednesdays, 12:45pm - 1:45pm – appointments needed
What’s coming up …
Outings for August 20 August, 10am-12pm (Flyer attached)
Bronte Beach & Swim, Tuesday 27 August, 11am-4pm. (Lunch provided) provided)
Spaces are limited so please call Graham on 9358 8171 to book a spot or speak with OLC reception to register.
Ceramics (Handbuilding) starts on Monday 26 August, 1.30pm-3.30pm every Monday
All A pottery-making technique that involves creating forms without a pottery wheel, using the hands, fingers, and simple tools. Just drop in.
White Card Training Day at the OLC on Friday 6 September, 8.30am - 4pm
The OLC is running a White Card Training Day on Friday 6 September (see flyer with details of how to enrol). Participants need to be at the OLC at 8.30am for a 9am start. This is the last one we are holding for this year. For any further information please refer to page 2 of the flyer or call 93588170/93588171 or speak with OLC reception.