How Vinnies has helped people through the bushfires
We are continuing to distribute funds from the Vinnies Bushfire Appeal every day. Visit our national updates page for up-to-date information on how much we’ve spent and how we have helped or read our latest report.
Bushfires devastated many communities across NSW, Queensland, South Australia and Victoria between September 2019 and February 2020.
People lost loved ones, thousands of homes and buildings were damaged, and livelihoods were destroyed.
Vinnies was one of the first organisations on the ground in the immediate aftermath of the fires, providing care and practical support. Volunteer members like Bill Baragry, Liz Royal and Marlene McWilliams in Forster rushed to help their communities, even as the bushfires threatened their own homes.
Bill, Liz and Marlene volunteered during the fires at the Tuncurry Bowling Club and Forster Vinnies Shop.
Donations to the Vinnies Bushfire Appeal have equipped us to provide:
- Urgent cash payments to families whose homes were damaged or destroyed, helping to pay bills, replace lost items and facilitate repairs
- Assistance to farming families impacted by the fires after struggling with drought
- Food, water, clothing, essential items and grocery vouchers
- Crisis accommodation for families who were evacuated with nowhere to stay
- Much-needed emotional support
- Referrals onto our own community services, as well as a wide network of other organisations and specialised services
Visit the Vinnies NSW blog for regular stories about how we are continuing to provide bushfire relief and recovery.