Michael has been an active member of the Society since joining the Donvale Conference in 2000. From 2007-2009 Michael was the Ringwood Regional Council President and from 2009-2013 he served on State Council as Eastern Central Council President.
During his term on State Council Michael was part of the following groups:
- Retail advisory committee
- Membership and development advisory committee
- Fundraising, marketing and public relations committee
- Mission identity advisory committee
- Melbourne Vinnies CEO Sleepout event committee (chair)
- Constitution review working group
- Social justice committee
Until his appointment as State President Michael was a member of the VincentCare Victoria board and sat on their governance committee and social policy and research committee. Outside of the St Vincent de Paul Society and VincentCare Victoria, Michael is also a board member of Social Policy Connections and has served on the pastoral council of Our Lady of the Pines parish in Donvale and represented the parish on the Yarra Deanery.
Michael is married to Helen and has one son who lives in Perth with his wife and two daughters.