Home Care Services

We provide Home and Garden Maintenance and Transport services in Darwin to make life a little easier as you age. These services are offered through the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).

About our CHSP services

As the only approved provider in the Northern Territory to offer these valuable services, we understand how important it is for the elderly, or those who are vulnerable, to have someone they can trust when they are in need of help around their home, or need to get out and about.

For general information on our Home and Garden Maintenance Service, or if you would like information on our Transport Service. Scroll down for information on eligibility and how to access these services.

Assistance provided

This service is avaliable to those of 65 years of age or older, or over 50 years of age if you are Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander. This service provides assistance to: 

  • Seniors with low level needs for support to live independently
  • Those recuperating after an injury, illness or hospitalisation.

Subsidised services

  • The government subsidises these services, but they are only part-funded, which is why we ask you to pay a small contribution towards each service you use
  • If you cannot make the contribution towards your care, please call us and talk through any concerns.

How to apply for these services

To apply for this or any government funded aged care service you must be registered with My Aged Care. You can register by using the My Aged Care portal or calling 1800 200 422.

If you are already approved for the Commonwealth Home Support Program, you can contact the St Vincent de Paul Society Northern Territory on 08 8948 8100 to access services you are approved to receive.

If you are not yet registered for services, then you must take the following steps.

Step 1: Register with My Aged Care

This generally takes 15-20 minutes. You will be asked a number of questions including:

  • Your Medicare details (have your card ready)
  • Identity check (100 points)
  • The care needs and health concerns you may have
  • Any medical assessments and service referrals you currently have
  • Any aged care services you already receive
  • How you are managing around the house
  • Any safety or health concerns you have around the house
  • Any other questions that will help assess the support you may need.

Someone can contact My Aged Care on your behalf, but you need to give your consent for them to do so. There are also interpreters available to assist you.

Once your details are registered with My Aged Care you will be assessed by the Regional Assessment Service to determine your level of need and the services you require.

Step 2: Assessment of your needs

For low level support needs, a face to face assessment will be conducted in your home by an assessor from the Regional Assessment Service.

  • The assessor will ask you about your day to day activities, needs and preferences
  • You will discuss or show what you can do well, what you need some help with, and what you want to be able to do.

Step 3: Approval for services

Once you are approved for Commonwealth Home Support Program services your assessor will agree a home support plan with you. The Regional Assessment Service will then refer you to our organisation and we will contact you directly to make arrangements.

Step 4: Organising your services

When we call you to arrange your service, we will discuss a couple of things including:

  • The services you will receive
  • Our service costs and staff
  • Payment arrangements.

You will also receive a copy of the charter of Aged Care Rights and Responsibilities.

Step 5: Managing your services

  • We will invoice you as agreed after each service
  • Payment of services can be via direct debit, Webdosh payment app, or in person
  • Your service arrangements will be reviewed annually
  • If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08 8948 8100 or email  nt.chsp@svdpnt.org.au