Who is my neighbour?
Housing is a human right but on any given night in Australia more than 105, 000 people are homeless. In recent years we have seen a rise in the number of people living in inappropriate housing. Members of the St Vincent de Paul Society have seen evidence of overcrowded dwellings among many of the families they visit. We are deeply saddened that a wealthy country like Australia still has such high levels of homelessness.
Explore the issue
There is simply not enough public housing and crisis accommodation available to meet the demand. At present, the Federal and State Governments have committed to a further year of funding for the National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness (NPAH) until June 2015. The St Vincent de Paul Society has called on the Federal Government to commit to a long term funding agreement on housing with the States and Territories.
- Support our annual Vinnies CEO Sleepout the proceeds from which go to Vinnies hostels and homelessness shelters and services in capital cities and regional centres.
- Follow our campaign to put pressure on the state and federal governments to sign a long term National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness.
- Play a role in helping to halve homelessness by 2020 through volunteering your time.
- Learn more about exciting housing initiatives such as Rapid Rehousing projects in NSW and the work of Australians for Affordable Housing.
- Support events such as the Passages Race Day in WA that directly support Passages homeless youth program for 12 - 25yr olds
- Read Renee's story about a search for suitable housing.